Pigeon Pages NYC, known for its Brooklyn reading series, is expanding into a literary journal publishing prose right here on pigeonpagesnyc.com. To celebrate our first flight into this new venture, we are launching a prose contest.
We seek previously unpublished prose pieces of up to 4,000 words. We will accept submissions from any genre or hybrid-genre, with lyric or experimental prose welcome. We love writing with a strong sense of narrative and invite you to tell us a true story, be in based in the real or fictional world. We believe that a story about dragons can be just as true as a piece of memoir, and are less concerned with traditional genre definitions than we are with resonant, evocative writing.
The author of the winning submission will receive $250 cash, with two runners-up receiving $50 cash each. All three winners will be published in Pigeon Pages, and all entries—winning or not—will be considered for publication.
To enter, email us at pigeonpagesnyc [at] gmail.com with the subject line of "CONTEST", and include your name and the title of your submission in the body of the email. Writers may submit only one entry each. We ask that you attach your piece as a Word or PDF file, with the word count listed at the top. Because the Pigeon Pages flock reviews all submissions anonymously and determines the winners accordingly, please remove your name from the document.
We are accepting submissions until October 1st, 2017.
Winners will be announced no later than December 1st, 2017.
- Only pieces of prose will be considered (fiction, nonfiction, lyric essay, or a hybrid; no poetry please)
- Only previously unpublished works will be considered
- Only one entry per person
- Submissions are accepted by email only, as .doc, .docx, or .pdf files, with author’s name removed and word count listed at the top
- Maximum length of 4,000 words
- Must be 18 years or older to submit
- All entries will be considered for publication
- First place: $250 cash
- Second & third place: $50 cash